Monday, April 25, 2011

Gluten free Roast

3 lb tri-tip roast in string. thawed in microwave. rub with salt/pepper/garlic powder. Brown in HOT oil so it gets a good crust. Place in oven at 225 (250 for 30 minutes, then 225) with...

2 c beef broth
1/2 onion, sliced (yellow)
onion flakes, salt, pepper, garlic cloves minced

For cream of mushroom soup:
4 oz can portabella mushrooms, drained, heated in pan with butter so the water comes out a little more. Or use fresh mushrooms and wait for water to come out & they cook down. Added some more onion flakes. Added cornstarch, a little bit of rice flour, and potato starch. Stir (off heat) to thicken and make roux. Added some 1/2 and 1/2. Then added 1% milk until it looked like soup. Put back on the heat - it thickened pretty quickly, so I had to add more milk. I was going for the volume of a 11-14 oz can.

Option 1 - add to roast as is. This is what I did. It worked out ok, but then we had gravy w/stuff in it. I finally blended up the gravy, and YUM.

Option 2 - blend as it comes off stove. Add creamy mixture to roast pan. I think I want to try it like this next time.

Cover roast in pan. I felt like it got dry where it wasn't submerged in the juices, so maybe it would be better to baste it? I let it cook for about 7 hours. Could go in a slow cooker too.

I added carrot sticks for the last 1 1/2 -2 hours. They were plenty done. Tasted great. Used 8 carrots. Should have used more.

If putting potatoes in with roast, which might be better than mashed potatoes, then double the gravy. Would need a really deep pan though.

No comments: