Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Peach Banana Coconut loaf


I can't really call it bread. Not because it's gluten-free, just because it didn't really turn out.

Here's the story: I had an old banana. But just 1. I wanted to use it. I decided to make banana bread. Since I needed more fruit, I added canned peaches (drained). However, even chopped up, peaches have extra juice.

I was trying to cut back on butter. I had leftover coconut milk that my husband isn't fond of. I decided to substitute coconut milk for butter.

I followed the recipe. But after pouring into the loaf pan, decided that it still was too runny.

So I added flour. Just dumped some on top and stirred. That doesn't work very well.

Especially since g-free flour has a lot of leavening built into it.

So the loaf turned out interestingly. It baked up, which is a plus. It is edible. I can't really taste the difference in coconut vs butter, which is surprising. I can taste the peach. The banana turned purple - has this happened to anyone else?

The worst part was the loaf where the extra flour didn't reach. That came out gummy-gluey. On the top 1/2 of the loaf, it rose a lot because of the built in baking-powder/baking-soda whammy combo. And the middle bread-like texture was ok. Overall, the flavor was good. But the top texture was too light, and the bottom was too heavy.

All in all, a good learning experiment. Lessons:
*trust my instinct - when the dough looked too runny, it really was.
*coconut milk CAN substitute for butter in some baking.
*peach bread is not a bad idea, but I should try it pureed instead of just mashed.

No comments: