Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ham Fried Rice

from cooks.com, adapted

PINEAPPLE SWEET & SOUR SAUCE
1 lg. can pineapple - I used 2/3 can, with just a little juice
2 1/2 c. pineapple juice - I used probably 1/2 c.
1 can mandarin oranges - I used the juice + fruit
1/4 c. soy sauce - Probably used a little less
1/2 c. + 2 tbsp. brown sugar - just shook some in. probably about right, maybe less
2 tbsp. vinegar - I used 1 tsp rice vinegar
1 carrot, thinly sliced - pre-baked in microwave first, then let cook in sauce.

Mix everything up, let simmer MED heat 1 hour (probably 40 min. Carrots prob 20 min). I also added edamame beans (frozen) and let those cook in it.

Made white+brown rice

Re-heated ham pieces, plain in non-stick pan. Added broccoli (fresh, cut into little florets and pre-baked in the microwave). Stirred to warm.

Served as make-your-own layer.

Thoughts - I thought needed more vinegar, Michael was ok with it.

No comments: